18 Sept 2006

I did it.

When I went round the final corner and saw the finish line, I cried

I was also close to tears at the start cos I was so unsure of whether this was the right thing for me to be doing. There were so many people, all shapes and sizes, all excited about getting going and you really can't fight that.

It was slow enough for the first few miles that I didn't get any of the niggles in feet and hips I'd been expecting so I really enjoyed the run up to about 7 miles.

Getting onto the Portway - the winners were coming past in the other direction - I had been overtaking loads of people cos I'd started very near the back and there were crowds coming past on the other side of the track all the way to the turning point (what a great place to get to!)

list of things
the start - too crowded by far - quite stressful wondering if I was going to get to the right place in time - but it started late so that was ok.

Set off after the walkers (I was very near the back) and that was annoying as I had to change route to get past - wasn't the only one!

Going through the centre was nice as there were loads of people cheering us on even though I got the feeling by the time I went past, they'd been standing there and cheering quite a long time.

It was hotter than the forecast had said so felt very red-faced for first few miles - especially after being kept waiting at the start.

The first water station was at 3 miles or so and it felt like along to time get there: I hadn't planned on drinking then but as it was hot I thought I would - it was odd having to drink when running - danger of banging gums and teeth on bottle. And why do we have to get a 1/2 litre bottle of water which you only need a couple of sips from??

Energy stations - hilarious - didn't want to touch the things after I saw someone throwing up a few 100 metres down the road from one. Also the road went incredibly sticky underfoot as all the sugar went everywhere. hmm, not a good feeling!

The route kept getting wide (good) and then narrow (bad as everyone crammed in together and suddenly we all slowed down too much)

Getting round town and heading towards the portway was ok - the miles seems to drift by slowly, but you have to keep remembering that every step you take is getting you closer to the finish.

Running under the suspension bridge was good - you rarely get the chance to see it from that angle (well, on that side of the road anyway) and it was a good point to think that when I came back in the other direction I'd be very close to finishing

Legs are beginning to ache a bit now - getting up to 7 or 8 miles. Am having water at every stop which I think was the right thing to do even if it meant chucking away heaps of those bottles.

Worryingly my left hip was beginning to stiffen up and I knew it could only get worse, but also reasured myself that I could stretch it out if it got too bad - but it held on, just. It really hurt by the end though.

Someone shouted out it was only 600yards to the turning point - and how good did that feel? I knew from looking at the map that after this it was the start of the home run. There was still over 4 miles to go but psychologically it was a good place to be!

There were lots of casualties by the side of the road - mostly heat exhaustion as it was fairly warm and there is very little shade along the portway. I felt very sorry for them.

Back under the bridge and it really felt like the end was in sight... This was at about 12 miles and the legs were feeling the strain - happily my feet seem to have managed quite well.

A friend who I spotted going up the portway was there at the end as well - she'd cycled into town a bit and was cheering me on which felt wonderful. In fact the final mile and a half was the best bit - felt utterly shot but the support was tremendous and I felt I had to put on a bit of extra effort to get me over the line in style.Found myself running just behind a bloke dressed only in devil horns and red posing pouch (and shoes) - he was getting lots of support (from the crowd not the pouch) but I sadly had to run past him!

So then I cried when I saw the finish line - it just welled up and I could have happily bawled my eyes out.

And crossing the line was just the best feeling - I couldn't stop running - I think it's like when you press your arm against a wall and it feels like your arm is rising all by itself - my legs couldn't believe they could stop...

A silver blanket, a medal and a rather shabby goody bag and I could go!

Walking back there were loads of very happy people paddling in the fountains and as I walked to the bottom of Jacobs Wells Rd there were other people finishing and I felt very proud of myself. I know that's a sin, but hey, once in while aint gonna hurt.

Boyf did 1h36m12 which he was disappointed with but he was running with a torn calf muscle and nearly pulled out at 3 miles so I think he should be proud (if foolish!)

And now my thighs ache, but otherwise I'm unscathed and on one hell of a high!!!

Oh, and my time 2 hours 5 mins and 25 secs. How chuffed!!!

Will I do it again? Unless I can find a good excuse, I don't see why I shouldn't...

No comments: