15 Oct 2009

Nothing much to report really. Other than I've done no more running (in case my poor calves explode, but they're feeling better now so I have no excuse) and I have twigged what the gym is all about.

It's all very well saying 'you have to go to muscle failure' but the fact is, you only know when you get there what that feels like - and it was nothing like what I had been doing before.

Oh no.

You pass through the 'bit wobbly and it might hurt a bit tomorrow' period and do a couple more reps - and then you go for the last one which is where you cannot move the bar any further no matter how hard you try. And then you hold it there for 10 seconds.

It goes against your instincts for survival at the basest level - as in, there is no way you should put yourself in a situation where you can't escape from a sabre-toothed tiger, but there you are, doing doing just that.
The other downside is afterwards when your wobbly arms and legs are wondering what the hell's happened to them, getting onto a bike or into a car is just the strangest feeling. Add to that last night and a cretin had just about boxed me in and I was manouvring the car, parked on a steep hill I might add, with uncontrollable arms and legs...
Interesting

Am I starting to feel the benefit? Not sure. It's not dramatic, but I think I feel a little mroe confident and less flabby - or that could be me trying to justify all the effort that's going in to the gym.

No comments: