7 Jul 2006


It's 7th July 2006 and just over 2 months from the Bristol 1/2 marathon.

I decided in a moment of madness a few months back that this was the year I went for it. Perhaps I'm due a mid-life crisis or something (I'm 41).

It's not like I don't run ever - I can run 7 miles in one go (pat self on back) - but anything more than that feels impossible. I don't even go fast - about 10 minutes per mile I reckon - so I'm looking at getting round the course in about 2 hours 20 mins. I won't be the slowest I'm sure, but dare I say not bad for my age? (I hate thinking like that but being over 40 means things become harder)(and therefore I have to put in more effort to get round, therefore I am more of a hero than those long-legged skinny people who flow over the ground like a stream...)

Last run I did was on Monday, 4 days ago, in the heatwave. I had to give up and walk for some of the way - and that was a killer. Once you've stopped running once, there is nothing to stop you stopping again and again and you can't work out whether you really need to walk or if you're just lazy. It was awful, couldn't breathe, was so hot I was getting goosebumps...

I also cycle to work, so it's not like running is my only exercise I ever get, but it's the main sort. I do yoga from time to time but feel I need to concentrate on the running to make sure I get round the whole 13 and a bit miles.

What do I wear? What should I eat and drink? What if I have to stop for the loo on the way round? Is there life afterwards?

Still am undecided whether to take part.

Can anyone out there help?

http://www.bristolhalfmarathon.com/index.php

No comments: