12 Jun 2023

Couch to 5k: week 9 Runs 25 - 26 - 27 WHOOP!!!!

Run 25: really very unpleasant and overly challenging. I thought I'd give myself a treat and run around the downs - not done that for more than a year. It's such a palaver cycling up there but that's basically on me. If there is another time it'll be smoother.

So I set off running and it felt like hard work, like I didn't have much energy. And it got worse. The very gentle hills seem insurmountable to my aching lungs. (my legs and various aches and pains were OK though)

Towards the end, when was desperate for Laura to tell me there are just 5 minutes left, I slowed down to the 'not quite walking' pace and just crawled back to my bike. I was so out of breath, so tired, and so uncomfortable (for another reason which I will not elaborate on), that I had thoughts of giving up - on this run and the whole programme (never been known for my resilience)

But I rationalised the possible reasons for my alarming loss of fitness. Mainly that I spent the weekend eating and drinking too much  - never a good thing. Plus the Downs is all off-road which is harder than pavements. (I'm ignoring the fact that the local route is about 50% off-road...) And it is very hot today. 

But I won't give up with just 2 more runs to go, that would be a waste. And next time I'll stick to the route I've been using round here and hope that today was just an odd day. 

I think I hit the 5k mark (again, failed to use mapmyrun properly)

And the average pace (which included a bit of walking ) was 6m 42s per km (so maybe my extra 'speed' is why I felt so wrecked?) 

Best split was 6m 16s which is insane for me... 


Run 26: Second to last run - and it was so much better than the last one. Thank goodness. It was the usual route but with some extra twists to get the distance. And I did it. I still don't care for even the slightest hills, but that is where the magic happens, right? 

My left Achilles is a little sore - really hope it doesn't develop into anything more serious because I don't want to stop this momentum. 


I'VE ONLY BLOODY DONE IT! 

Run 27 pros: new running bra (very comfy); running shorts (ugly but not their fault)

cons: slightly achy Achilles; still finding 'hills' harder than they should be; haven't quite found a 5k route. 

4.47km  6m 54 per km

I feel really happy to have done this. As long as the Achilles thing doesn't get any worse, I believe I can keep running 3 times a week for about 30 mins or 5k. It makes the Parkrun seem like an achievement. 

It might change once the weather stops being so perfect. I've been lucky that most of the training has been in nice weather - there is a lot of rain to come. Perhaps a waterproof phone cover? 

I really am going for it... 

Rambling blog entry.


No comments: