12 May 2011

all in the mind #2

Suddenly 10k seems like a very long way.

I know I've run far further even quite recently - but once there is a label on the run it seems like that is the target which makes it the hardest part of the run. Does this make any sense?
I think what I mean is I can go for a long run and be surprised at the distance when I get back. When it's a measured distance, that is the peak point of the run, the point where you have used up all your energy and you can then stop.
Plus the fact it's done in front of other people makes it more of a challenge, it makes it an event, something which can be failed. If it wasn't an event there would be ne shame in cutting a corner and going home early.

hmmm.

Am less optimistic about Sunday now. But that way lies ruin: I must maintain a slightly manic yet realistic positivity.

And is will all be over by 11am on Sunday. And we've already booked a Sunday lunch somewhere excellent. :)

No comments: