10 Aug 2016

slow but sure

Another run - get me.
This time 10 years ago I was running 7 miles before breakfast

entry for 10 aug 2006:
Back on the road again....

Having survived various symptoms of lergy (lurgy??) I am back on the long road to wherever 13 and a bit miles will take me...

It wasn't too bad, once the first mile or so was done. This bit is all slightly uphill, so imagine setting off at 0620, uphill, feeling a little queasy and a lot knackered and you get the picture... But despite allowing myself to think about cutting the route short and taking it easy on myself, I did the whole thing and felt like a real trouper (trooper??) when I got back to safety and managed to separate my feet from my shoes.

So there you have it - I'm still in the running, whether I like it or not.

Was chatting to a friend who has just taken up running and claims to love it: she goes for about 3 and a half miles and feels on top of the world. She knows a person who runs 13 miles for fun then runs home up a steep hill. That person is obviously unstable and is to be avoided. How can anyone get to the stage when 13 miles is a 'fun run'?

I see Nick Rose running round the downs a lot - I remember him from way back (can't be sure when) and he was a terrific international runner, winning lots of races and generally being a local hero. He still goes at a hell of a rate and I'm sure he's just jogging...

I'm off on holiday tomorrow but the trainers are coming with me. A week away from the routine will test my mettle... 


So there - it really happened.
I don't think I'm downhearted about not being at that level now - I am realistic about my capabilities although I know I could push myself a lot harder. I guess I have to balance that against the injuries and knackerednesses I would have to endure.
But 10 years is a long time which has gone by very very fast.
At the rate I ran today my 1/2 marathon time would be... 2.2 hours. Even if I could keep going at just over 10 mins a mile...
But I have to accept that I can keep running though by muscles and hips are aching while I dod it - it doesn't feel like an injury, just age getting the better of me...



No comments: