12 Mar 2016

it's been a while...

I think there has been a couple of runs recently - but using the tiny ipod means I don't have the stats. Although that doesn't mean the runs don't count.
Does it?
Accurate stats never used to matter, in my days of training for the 1/2 marathon. Then it was a bit of cotton wound round the course on a scale map..

That was 10 years ago.
10 YEARS
ffs what's happened to all that time?

I know I'm much slower (and fatter and older) but it was mst definitely a jog this morning. I did go around the downs for the first time in a year or so (cos I can now drive after 12 months of purdah waiting to see if I have another seizure and am banned for another 12 months - but it's fine and I'm back on the road. Yay!)

4.28 miles
10m 26s a mile.
Really slow.

On my leisurely way round the downs I was overtaken by a young perfect person and I began to berate myself for being the way I am - slow, overweight, red in the face, ungainly - I could go on. But then I got a grip - ff sake, I thought, I am in my 50s and still running - I might not be fast or particularly fit - but I compare well with most women my age and running is part of how I define myself. The ladies at my partner's running club aren't particularly fast either - they do it for all their own reasons but mostly cos they enjoy it. And there are times when I am loving the feeling - there is strength in my legs, the sun is out, people are waving (well one chap did) and I realise how blessed I am to be where I am, capable of running - I am one of the luckiest people on the planet.
Even if I do feel that sometimes I have the weight of the world on my shoulders...

To the stars, Gaia, whoever - thank you (and I accept the responsibility to care for myself)

No comments: