26 Feb 2022

It's been a long time coming

It's a psychological thing in many ways. Because I haven't been for a run for a long time, I assume it will be horrible and that I'll suffer. Well of course it was, up to a point, but not as bad as I feared. And it's that fear which makes me put it off.

It's a beautiful morning - I mean, proper blue sky and birds singing, daffodils about to flower. All good. 

So where was the pain? Knees - no pain. Hips - a twinge at the end, no more. Calves - springy and strong. Achilles - doing their job. Feet - well they ached a lot. I guess they haven't been put to such use for such a long time.

It feels like all my recent efforts have been paying off. I've been rollering my inner and outer thighs which I think is helping my knees. Plus I periodically stretch and strengthen my calves and I believe that's helped my achilles. 

But hey - I feel triumphant. The danger is that now I've done a run I will treat the effects as permanent and I won't have to keep the benefit topped up. 

I did the route I normally do on my walks so there was a lot of uphill at the start but even that was more ok than I had thought it would be.

So, suffice it to say, I feel good about it and am self-aware enough to know I have to keep going if I am going to get any long-term benefit and to tell people I am a runner... 


4.1m

6m 57 per km


No comments: