31 Mar 2020

The right thing to do

I've moved onto kilometres - with the idea that I will do a 5k run 3 times a week for the duration of the lockdown. 5K is a little bit further than I thought.

Today then:
5.92 km
6.38m/km (no idea how that works 0.38 of a minute or 38s? doesn't matter) (It's 10.26 mins/mile)

The plan, such that it is, is to get into the running again. And find out of the elusive runners' high actually exists for me. There are so many examples of people saying running helps their mental health - that any form of exercise is beneficial. I mean - of course it's beneficial, we're not designed to loaf around all day (even though that's kind of what's going to get us through this)

And so I will endeavour to do this 5k thing.

What helped enormously this morning was having had just 1/2 glass red last night (which is practically tea-total compared with my recent intake). Being a borderline alcoholic (but if I see myself as a borderline alcoholic probably means I am quite a long way down the line) it's not a good place to be. It's hard though - this isolation, these uncertain, unknowable times makes the usual; rules feel unnecessary, that any form of personal restrictions feel pointless: if there is no one to judge you why should you care about what you do? But is that the attitude of someone who believes other people's opinions are more important than their own.

There are many opportunities to get to know ourselves better during there uncertain, unknowable times.

Stay safe

No comments: